Preparing for a Hazardous Materials Incident
Be aware of the methods used to warn you of a hazardous material incident. These methods include:
What You Should Do in Case of a Hazardous Materials Incident
- If you witness a hazardous materials release, immediately report it by calling 911.
- Do not enter the area contaminated by hazardous material or cloud.
- Avoid any contact with the hazardous material or cloud.
- If you hear a warning signal or siren turn on your radio or television for emergency information. Follow all the instructions carefully.
- If you are asked to Evacuate or Shelter in Place, do so immediately.
What You Should Do After a Hazardous Materials Incident
- Do not return to the evacuated area until authorities say it is safe.
- Persons or property exposed to hazardous materials may be contaminated.
- If you have been contaminated by a hazardous material, seek medical help immediately (call 911).
- Follow decontamination instructions given by authorities to clean up the property or the environment.