Shelter House Reservations
Each year, Kenton County Parks and Recreation begins accepting reservations for the upcoming outdoor season, beginning on the first Monday in February, for all shelter houses in our parks. Shelter houses are available for reservation from mid-April through mid-October.
Make a Reservation
Choose a date, time, and facility, then make a non-refundable reservation.
Reserve in Person
Reservations can be made at the Kenton County Public Works and Parks and Recreation Administration office, located at:
420 Independence Station Road (in Lincoln Ridge Park)
Independence, KY 41051
Reservations can be made in person any weekday during the regular business hours of 7:30 a.m. to 4 p.m.
There is also the option to check availability and make a reservation online.
If you have any questions or need assistance navigating our site, please contact us at 859-392-1920. Thank you for choosing Kenton County Parks and Recreation for your next event.
The following policies apply to reservations:
- Shelters and facilities may be reserved up to one year in advance of the desired date.
- Shelter reservation fees are due at the time of reservation. We cannot hold reservations without payment.
- Reservations Fees vary from $35 to $80 (applicable KY sales tax may apply) depending on the day, location, size, and amenities of the shelter. For a tax exempt entity, call 859-392-1920 to make reservation and to have the tax waived. A Sales Tax Certificate of Exemption must be received with reservation. Or, with a $150 non-refundable fee, reserve a shelter house for a special event (not including run/walks, fundraisers or large events) up to one year in advance.
- A permit will be issued and must be with you during the use of the shelter, as proof of your reservation.
- All reservations are non-refundable. Facility users assume the risk of undesirable weather conditions when reserving a facility.
- Park restrooms are generally closed around mid-October through mid-April. These dates are subject to change depending on weather conditions. Port-A-Lets are available at each park during the off season.
- Shelter Houses are cleaned on a regular basis by Parks Department. However, due to frequent use and exposure to the elements, we recommend that you check your site prior to your reservation for shelter condition. Please think of others, leave the shelter and tables clean for the next user. Shelter reservations guarantee use of the shelter only - no other conditions implied.
- Permitted users are expected to clean up all litter and debris (decorations, balloons, etc.) that they generate and place in trash barrels provided by the Parks Department. If facility maintenance is required above and beyond the normal cleaning process, a Clean Up Fee of $75 may be charged. Large groups should request additional trash receptacles and bags.
- Some events require a Special Permit in addition to a shelter reservation. See below if your event meets the criteria.
- All park ordinances (PDF) apply.
Special Permits Fees
Kenton County Parks and Recreation has introduced a plan to assist organizers of special events. Under this plan, a special event is defined as a non-profit event that requires additional space for tents or other apparatus, that requires use of large areas of the park and impacting the normal use of the park (such as car shows, festivals, large corporate functions, show, demonstration, exhibition, pageant, large outdoor gathering, *race/walk, etc.), or that requires advance planning, such as a wedding. Booking one of Kenton County’s parks for a special event includes the exclusive use of one shelter house.
Reserving a date for a special event requires payment of a non-refundable permit fee and a completed Special Events Permit Application. See the Special Event/Advanced Booking Permit Policy (PDF).
"Special Permit" Examples
- Live or Recorded Music
- Petting Zoos
- Commercial Tents
- Races – Run/Walks
Reserving a date for a special event requires payment of a non-refundable permit fee and a completed application. The special event permit fee is $150. Applicable KY sales tax may apply. For a tax exempt entity, call (859) 392-1920 to make reservation and to have the tax waived. A Sales Tax Certificate of Exemption must be received with reservation. To book a race or large event at one of our parks, the organizer must pay the special permit fee of $150 along with reserving the additional shelters at the parks.
It is important that applicants understand that by receiving a special permit from Kenton County Parks and Recreation does not guarantee unilateral permission. There may be other permits, licenses or authorization necessary from other entities, depending on the type of event and activities conducted.
Kenton County Parks and Recreation considers all parties with inflatable jump houses to be classified as a Special Event. Anyone using an Inflatable needs to have a shelter house permit, provide proof of insurance from the providing company and pay the permit fee. There is a $70 permit fee. Failure to do so will result in the removal of the inflatable upon the Park staff’s request. No electricity is available for inflatables. A generator must be used at the responsibility of the renter.